Marie has had a long career both spanning esports, game development and events. For a rundown of how it all interlinks, check out her bio.
Click on the experience you are interested in to learn more:
As a game dev, Marie has had a lengthy career spanning some of the world's most famous studios and titles, while still being involved in esports on the side.
Eventually, her game development career brought her to make esports games, and so she went full circle. Today, she works in gamedev as an advisor and hosts workshops - check the Advisory page for more info
Owning and driving an unannounced mobile game for META Games
Worked remotely on an unannounced title for Ubisoft Stockholm
Lead Game Designer on live game competitive multiplayer game The Cycle
Leading three major features on an unannounced online multiplayer game at Jagex
- Reporting straight to and keeping Creative Director in the loop
- Feature owner over all 3C (Camera, Controls, Character and movement), Progression and AI
- Leading design and delegating to several other designers
- Continuous coaching and feedback to junior and intermediate members of the design team
- Leading cross-disciplinary feature team with animators, artists and programmers
- Advisory in technical implementation
- Market rating analysis in collaboration with Strategy team
Worked at Capcom as Game Designer and Feature owner on an unreleased AAA title in the Dead Rising franchise
Worked at Funcom (later renamed to Nvizzio Creations) on theme park simulator game RollerCoaster Tycoon World - successor to RollerCoaster Tycoon 3. Owned everything AI (which is a lot in a simulation game). Set the AI vision architected the full simulation loop, implemented initial core systems such as pathfinding, decision making and the hive mind for staff. Had one programmer to delegate to.
Transitioned to pure Game Design during the development of RollerCoaster Tycoon World. Set a new vision for progression and drove the design and implementation, working closely to programmers, designers, level designers, producers and artists.
Also worked on Rokh, a futuristic survival game set on planet Mars. Designed various gameplay elements such as the debuff/buff system and hazards that plagued the planet.
Worked at Eidos Montréal as Gameplay Programmer on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided DLC and game mode Breach. The mode was about hacking and escaping with data from stealth missions. I worked closely with designers, level designers, artists and animators to make awesome stuff, always coming with ideas and smart technical solutions to design problems.
Main features included:
Worked as associate gameplay programmer on my first AAA: Batman Arkham Origins. C++ and UnrealScript programming. For PC and consoles, using Unreal 3+. Worked widely on almost all areas of the game, including:
IBM was researching how to use Virtual Worlds such as Second Life, ActiveWorlds in a business context, inspired by the big MMORPG games at the time (i.e. World of Warcraft). We were working on the OG metaverse.
* Learnt the tropes of UI & UX methodology by some of the best in the industry
* Designed the UI & UX of a GM (Game Master) control panel used to conduct in-game meetings
* Implementation through programming in Java
I was starring as the Game Expert in the pre-season pilot and first season of Swedish tech TV show 'MetroTeknik'. I was a member of the show's production planning team, responsible for my part of it. Each week, I came up with different topics and new content such as graphics, video clips, interview questions for the game host, phone interviews and more. A couple episodes were about esports.
Also starred several times as Game Expert at Sweden's largest morning TV show TV4 Nyhetsmorgon to talk about current game topics.
Was Game Reviewer for online game portal Nordic Gamers, testing, analyzing and writing articles and reviews about new game releases. Also represented them at Dreamhack and held competitions for visitors.
Marie been into games her whole life and esports since its early days (2001), when she registered her first clan on Clanbase. Initially, she spent every minute aside studies on esports, and grew the world's then-biggest community for female gaming.
However, by 2010, it was still impossible for her to find a full-time career in esports, and for the next 10 years, she was a game developer by day and esports vigilante involved in many different initiatives, roles and games at night. Eventually she came to develop and lead my own esports games, as Game Director.
Nowadays she is involved in esports through her Advisory and Hosting services:
- Advices game studios developing esports games
- Advices other esports initiatives looking for strategic direction
- Host for gaming- and esports conferences
Marie is always passionate and open to be involved in more initiatives within esports - get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org if you have something of interest.
Advisor for the strategic direction with 10N8E Esports, the premier Esports solution provider in Africa, committed to delivering comprehensive online and offline experiences, through tournaments, immersive offline centers, premium contents and talent management.
Managed relations with the community of the esports game for which I was Lead Designer – The Cycle.
- Organized round tables with players
- Went undercover as tournament participant to learn more about the player experience
- Visited streams and tournament broadcasts to make players feel seen
- Discussed tournament competitive rulings and came with recommendations
- Starred as guest in community-run tournaments
- Starred in official community streams with Q & A
- Crowned ‘Queen Mejerwall’ by the pro player community
Organized tournament ‘SMITE Night’ at Meltdown Montréal esports bar
* Pitched concept & sold it to bar owners, was awarded a budget
* Coordinated with publisher Hi-Rez for prizes and graphics.
* Decorated bar with posters, portraits (of SMITE characters) and banners
* Developed customs drinks
* Social media promotion
* Schedule and brackets
* Hosting & Casting
* Prize Ceremony and awards
* Recruited pro player Paindeviande and famous caster Kaelaris as special guests
Twitch Affiliate. Streaming various games meanwhile entertaining viewers on Twitch.
Hosted RollerCoaster Tycoon devstreams for beta weekends.
Managing profile, intro videos, graphics, stream software setup, stream plugins, music, camera, lighting and greenscreen, as well as starred and moderated live chat.
Produced a game series called 'Diamond Duos' where I show off new Smite gameplay.
One-woman-army starring, casting, playing, graphics, sound mixing, presentation etc. Managing social channels such as Youtube and Facebook.
Coached several SMITE teams – BOT Empire (semi-professional org), Commitment Committee and Sunbreakers.
One of my teams reached top #12 position and was just below the SMITE Pro League; today several of my old players play there.
Broadcasted ESL’s weekly SMITE tournaments, Conquest of the Gods. Produced the tournament broadcast in its entirety, only assisted by tournament admins who got the games started. All on volunteer basis.
Preparation - Production & design
Live - Starring - host, commentator & observer
Main Caster for weekly SMITE tournament 'Battle For Valhalla' for online community SMITE Central, broadcasted 2-3 per week on Twitch.
Work between shows
Working as Public Relations Manager for game Lineage of Conquest (later named Dynastica) and their presence at DreamHack.
I was there when esport took its first steps, and was part of grassroot movement growing the Counter-Strike scene on IRC, on online communites, Internet cafés and LAN:s. We were leading the initiative on the female esports scene, hosting the largest female gaming community at the time (3000 members). We had an online ladder and league and hosted tournaments at DreamHack, the world's then biggest LAN party (or game festival as people say nowadays)
Responsible for booth, tournaments at multiple DreamHacks:
Responsible for partner relations:
Having worked with video games in different way, shape and form her whole life, Marie has had the opportunity to both host, star, commentate and speak on countless occasions, both onstage and on camera. She now works half-time (aside her advisory) as a professional host and frequently stars as guest and expert.
As a host in 2022, she:
- Hosted the mainstage of game- and esports conferences x3
- Hosted awards show x2
- Moderated panels x8
- Led fireside chats x2
As a speaker in 2022, she:
- Starred as panelist x2
- Starred in roundtable x1
- Starred as podcast guest x3
- Starred as livestream guest x1
- Hosted workshop x1
- Spoke at game conferences x4
- Conducted talks for schools and gaming companies x3
A summary of her experiences are listed below. You can find more details about them by clicking their respective link.
For interest in having Marie speak or host at your event, get in touch on email@example.com.
- Host of LiU Game Conference 2022
- Moderator at Dubai Esports Festival 2022 (info)
- Host of PlayCon Malta 2022 (info & photos)
- Speaker at DevPlay 2022 (video)
- Speaker at MEGAMIGS 2022 (info)
- Speaker at Game Dev Coaching Day for NRW.Skilltree (info)
- Panelist at gamesweekberlin 2022 (info)
- Host for fireside chat at DevCom 2022 (info&video)
- Speaker at DevCom 2022 (info&video)
- Panelist at ESI Breakfast Club during GamesCom 2022
- Host for main stage and livestream at Nordic Game Conference 2022 (sample video)
- Host of Nordic Game Awards 2022 gala (info&video)
- Speaker at Nordic Game Conference 2022 (info&video)
- Panelist at ESI London 2021 (FEATURED) (info)(video)
- Speaker at LiU Game Conference, Linköping 2019
- Panelist at RuneFest, UK, 2018 (info)(video)
- Panelist at MIGS, Montreal International Game Summit 2017
- Speaker for KTH University, Stockholm
- Speaker for Female Legends in their mentorship program
- Host for onstage competitions at multiple Dreamhack (7000+ people in audience) (info)
- Producer, hostess and caster for esports tournaments at Meltdown Montreal (info)
- Workshop host for college students visiting Jagex
- Interviewed on DevCom 2022 livestream (FEATURED) (link)
- Swedish national TV (1m viewers) x 3 appearances on morning shows (FEATURED) (info)
- Speaker at GDS (info)
- Speaker at IndieCampus (info)
- Panelist in esports discussion at medianet Berlin (info)
- Devstreams for The Cycle (picture)
- Devstreams for RollerCoaster Tycoon (info)
- Esports host and caster for network SMITE CENTRAL x3 times per week (info) (video)
- Esports host and caster (and producer) for ESL's weekly tournaments (info) (video)
- Twitch streaming (Twitch affiliate) (info)
- Starred in Naavik's business roundtable #74 in 2022 (FEATURED) (video)
- Starred in Medianet Berlin's podcast (listen here)
- Starred weekly in TV show MetroTeknik for its pilot and first season (info)
- Produced and starred in personal YouTube show 'Diamond Duos' (info) (teaser video)
- Guest in podcast 'Out of Play Area' by John R Diaz (info) (video)
- Guest in popular Swedish Gaming Podcast 'Overkligt' (listen here on 'download' link)